Sign up to participate! Anyone can participate. The parade is not just for kids! Individuals, families, schools, neighborhood groups, and community organizations are all encouraged to participate. To sign up, please register here. We are looking for folks to make masks, puppets, and costumes, as well as dancers and musicians. You are welcome to create your entry on your own or come to one of our workshops for help. All participants must register (It’s free!).
We ask that when you sign up, you agree to abide by our Parade Guidelines. Please take a minute to review them below.
Rules: The following guidelines must be followed:
- Everyone must be in costume, including parents and staff accompanying children.
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by someone older.
- All entries must be handmade and people powered. Motorized vehicles (other than wheelchairs) and live animals (other than working animals) are not permitted.
- We believe that all human and non-human beings deserve dignity and respect. We ask that all of your entries respect and reflect this belief. If you have questions about your entry in regards to this guideline, please feel free to contact us directly and ask. Cattywampus reserves the right to prohibit parade participation if any of your creations violate this guideline.
- As this is a family event, nudity is prohibited.
- No distribution of leaflets or flyers during the parade or along the parade route.
- All parade participants participate at their own risk. Written waivers are required.
- All parade entries must emphasize SAFETY. Please make sure your creation has good visibility, is easy to operate and control, and is safe for other parade participants to move around. Remember, we will be parading in the outdoors, so consider wind when you are building.
Cattywampus Puppet Council and the Appalachian Puppet Pageant seek to strengthen community and achieve peace and justice through creating and playing together. We hold diversity itself as a value and nurture awareness of true community by welcoming people of differing races, ethnic origins, cultures, genders, ages, abilities, languages, economic and social backgrounds, sexualities, gender identities and expressions, political beliefs and religions, family styles and nationalities. We aim to create a safe, accepting and respectful environment where we can learn and grow together, honoring and embracing our individual and collective humanity.